Ghirardelli in the double boiler, egg whites in the mixer, and D asking for Duncan Hines yellow cake to no avail…it all can only mean one thing: chocolate soufflÃ©. That’s right folks, I’m at it again.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 10 1/2 ounces (10 squares) extra-bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar; more for soufflÃ© ramekins
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Butter and sugar six 6-ounce soufflÃ© ramekins. Place on a rimmed baking sheet; set aside.
2. In a double boiler over medium heat, melt the chocolate until smooth. Remove from the heat and keep warm. (I found I had to stir it around with a fork every so often to keep it from getting chunky, but that will depend on your chocolate. The higher percentage of cocoa, the more you may need to stir.)
3. In a medium heavy-bottom saucepan combine milk and cornstarch. Stir well with a wooden spoon to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring continuously, until thick.
4. Remove milk mixture from the heat, remove any skin that may have formed on top, and stir in warm melted chocolate. Let cool slightly. Add a bit of this mixture to the egg yolks to temper them, then add the lightly beaten egg yolks back into the milk mixture and stir until well combined.
5. In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, whip egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar and increase speed to high. Whip until shiny and stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
6. Using a whisk, lighten the chocolate mixture with about 1/3 of the beaten egg whites. Stir until well-combined. Using a large rubber spatula, fold in remaining egg whites until just incorporated.
Comments on this entry are closed.
Congratulations on what looks like the perfect souffle! I tried making one last weekend and it was a dismal failure in that it didn’t rise properly. i will try again soon. Yours looks fantastic.
this resipy is awsome!my cake came out amazing it was so frkn good!!im makingmore next week!